Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An Apology to the Military… no, seriously…

Back in high school, I was made an official member of a Conscientious Objector group in Orange County as a result of some columns I wrote in the school paper. So, it’s clear that I’ve kept a clear distance from the military for quite some time.

For the purposes of this blog, however, let me make something clear. I hate the military. I don’t hate military personnel – we’ll get to that – but I do hate the military. In the US, it’s overblown, overemphasized, and overdone. We now make war on a whim and finance it on the backs of our great-grandchildren. For those defenders who would say they do some good, I’m looking at New Orleans and thinking “Not so much.” So, as an organization that is trained to kill human beings, I hate the military. As for military personnel, I do not hate them but I wouldn’t want to spend my free time with them. These are people who felt that the best they could do with their lives is to be trained to kill human beings – not my group. Are they beyond redemption? Probably not. Should they be given the chance? You bet. But when it comes to the military, I don’t want anything to do with them.

Does this include the National Guard? Probably not. After all, there is a chance some join to help others… with the whole killing thing as just a side benefit…

You’re probably wondering why I’m telling you all of this up front, aren’t you? Well, the reason is because, starting today, I am now managing a department that markets directly to the military. Yep. Go ahead. Say it. I deserve it. Without going into details, I am managing the marketing of programs and products to military spouses. These are people who marry those who feel that the best they can do with their lives is to be trained to kill human beings. Now, I know that you can’t choose who you fall in love with but I am also willing to guess that I probably wouldn’t get along on a personal level. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying I’m better than them… oh, wait…. Actually, yes. I am saying I’m better than them. Sorry, but I think that the path I’ve chosen – to not kill or be with a killer – is preferable.

Which, again, makes me as a result of the job I now have, something of a two-faced asshole son of a bitch… etc. etc. etc.

Granted, I did not choose this role. In fact, I’ve fought it tooth and nail. Here’s the problem, though: I’m good at what I do.

I’m not going to be the only hypocrite in the lot, most likely. Marketing to the military has become big business, megabig! Everyone’s on the band wagon. I’m not saying that to excuse what I’m doing. I’m saying that because I think it’s important that you know something: We have a segment of our economy that is devoted solely to the business of killing and profiting from killing. That us, the good old USofA.

And quite frankly, it makes me sick.

And I’m beginning to miss Linksys…

No comments: