Thursday, June 19, 2008

My bike! My bike!… I’m a fucking nerd…


So, I picked up my bike last night.

It had been cleaned and lubed, all tuned up. It looked as good as new! Also, it had a new backlight and headlight and a cool, new computer. The computer will work as a clock and thermometer, speedometer, odometer, etc. etc. etc.

I can’t wait to try it. This weekend, my plan is to ride to the beach, which is easily 10-15 miles one way from our house. I’m going to leave early in the morning and, when I reach the beach, stop for breakfast.

So, what am I doing, writing about this on a Thursday morning? I’ll be honest with you; this is like my public shame! I’m becoming a middle-aged bike nerd! I’m okay with that… I guess… because it contributes to my health and losing weight – and all that shit.

But still, even as I feel this joy over the prospect of going to the beach, taking the longest bike ride of my life (which is saying something considering how much I rode as a kid), and preparing to commute to work on my bike, there’s a part of me (we’ll call him Smoker Ken) who leans back and laughs at the prospect – because I am just so uncool.

Sigh.

Oh well.

It could be worse. It could be a Segway.

No comments: