Thursday, October 02, 2008

The art of the low-expectation...

(This was written long before the Veep Debate but I think it's still important to note.)

Quiz time: Does anyone remember the last time a Republican Presidential candidate was expected to do well in a debate?

For the last 20 years, the Republicans have made an art out of setting expectations subterraneanly low. I think the last candidate expected to debate well for the Repugs was Reagan - and not because of his ideas, of course, but because he had screen time!

This makes me wonder: What rationalization could Repugs possibly give for their continued existence? "Our ideas are so bad they can't stand a chance in honest debate - We must be right!"

You're not hearing the Dems say, "Obama can't string together an intelligible sentence. Biden has no command of his faculties." I'm no Dem but, in my mind, that's a good thing.

No comments: