Monday, October 20, 2008

So, I guess I'm the dick...

I'm going to start by assuming that this may be something you can identify with. No, I don't mean ending a sentence with a preposition, I'm talking about...

A few days ago, I wrote about how tired I was of always being the guy who was there for people and nobody was there for me when it came to my birthday and how depressed it made me that nobody seemed to care about my birthday.

Then, I got an email from Rob, a very old friend. It came a day late and he basically said, "Sorry for getting this to you late but: Happy Birthday!" I thought it was nice. I was glad he remembered me.

And then, I realized I had no idea when his birthday was. I'd completely forgotten.

I had forgotten a lot of people's birthdays.

Here I was complaining about people forgetting my birthday when...

And there was that sickly moment of recognition.... oooooh....

Happiness is a fleeting thing but, then, so is unhappiness. I've gotten over my disappointment about my birthday. But one thing that comes with the realization that happiness is fleeting is also the knowledge that the little things really do go a long way. I mean, I wasn't depressed because of a lack of expensive gifts; it was being forgotten that was so sad - which tells me how my forgetfullness affects people. So, I've decided I need to be better about this. I need to be a little more active in making other people's lives happy, even if in a small way.

Anyway, I'd probably feel less like a dick...

No comments: