Tuesday, May 03, 2005

We're all Vampires…

So, as you know, I'm working on the rewrites to Vampire Society. (Yes, in addition to working on A Grand Canyon. Ken's a busy boy.)

I'm about halfway through and today, completely out of the blue, something occurred to me that hadn't hit the whole time I wrote the thing.

Throughout the novel, I talk about how the Vampire Society isn't just composed of Republican Senators and Televangelist heretics and corrupt CEOs. The Vampire Society is propagated from the roots. We are all Vampires.

And, for some reason, I recalled the New Testament, when it says, "We are all sinners."

Who among us is without sin?

Who among us has never acted as a Vampire?

And suddenly - oh my god - I realized that I've written an incredibly spiritual book. A self-professed atheist has written a spiritual book, coached in the language of an atheist. But, of course, there's bound to be a spiritual element. It's a love story and how could love be anything but spiritual?

This book never ceases to amaze me and I'm beginning to wonder who wrote it.

However I got a hold of it, it's a wonderful gift.

I can't help but think that this might be the one that catches some traction and maybe actually sells.

Wouldn't that be something?

No comments: