Monday, February 14, 2005

Contradictory jackass…

I don't mind calling myself that because I know that, deep down, it's what we all are. We are all contradictory jackasses.

Say it with me. "I am a contradictory jackass." Good. Now, don't you feel better?

And so it was that I spent my Saturday afternoon shuffling through my valuables. I had finally found a place to put our CDs. I set up the cases and displayed them in alphabetical order. I also had to sift through all the receipts and paperwork I'd gathered over the past year to get ready to start preparing my taxes. Oh, I looked through piles of Costco receipts and DVD Planet receipts, receipts for booze, receipts for cigarettes…

Concurrently, as I do this, I am also working on a novel about ethics, a novel about the evils of the consumer-based society. I'm telling people to consume less. I'm telling people that if they don't need it, they shouldn't have it.

And I was also wishing I had more wall space. There's so much I could do with more wall space!
And then, Sunday night, Vicky and I went to the mall and bought me a pair of sunglasses and some perfumed soaps…

Contradictory.

Jackass.

It's what I am. I can't deny it

But, for all we know, Freud probably did his mom, Nietzsche was probably a wimp, Descartes probably never was...

No comments: