Friday, October 01, 2004

On the rings of cocks and Frenchmen…

Very few words are able to, merely by their coming together, create foul and dirty language. (Maybe it's because they come together…) One such pair popped up the other day (no, not George and Bush) when I got in trouble for using the phrase "cock ring". I used the phrase in an email… that unwittingly went out to some people who are, let's say, old - prudish - PURITANS!
Yeah, cock rings. Anyway, I don't see the big deal. The word "cock" is merely suggestive but, in its defense, was used in the Bible. The word "ring" has no negative connotation at all. So, why the fuss about cock rings, anyway? Fingers get rings. Toes get rings. It's just one ring to meet them in the middle…

Now, there's a euphemism used in common speech that I've been thinking about later and that is "pardon my French". Sometimes, people say that when they cuss. But is that a local thing? How far does that go? Do people in TJ say (in Spanish) "pardon my French"? Do people in Quebec say (in French) "pardon my French"?

Wait a minute! What if you were in France?! What would you say then? I mean, everything would already be in French, anyway. Would your French still be in French if you were speaking French?

Merde!

… oops, pardon my English!

No comments: