Thursday, November 13, 2003

Many years ago, with Rosa...

It doesn't happen that often, but sometimes during the day I hear the voices.

Now, for the sane out there, let me explain something. The "voices" aren't exactly voices. They don't tell me things or speak to me but there is a sound there - like a deafening, hard to hear screaming. There's also a video element sometimes, flashing before me like a strobe. As with the voices, I can't always make something out. But sometimes...

So, I'm sitting here at my desk and - zippity zap - suddenly an image appears in my head. It's 1985, and Rosa and I are standing at the top of one of South Coast Plaza's parking structures. We'd just come out from seeing the movie, Creator, with Peter O'Toole and were talking about our futures together. We had no idea what was out there (or how tragically it would end) but we knew we could face it together.

Together.

And since the day I've lost her, my life has become something I find very difficult to face alone.

A few days ago, a line hit me: "Never find the girl of your dreams." You know, because if that ever ends, where do you go from there?

Where, indeed.

No comments: