Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Ethics of Theater-Hopping...

Theater-Hopping: To go see another film at the same theater once yours is done, without paying, thereby seeing multiple movies for the price of one!

I asked Vicky once if she theater-hops. She replied, emphatically, "No."

"Why not," I asked.

"It's not right," she said. "Taking something without paying for it is stealing." And she was right.

Face it. As much as you might like to theater-hop, as much as I might like to theater-hop, she's right! Theater-hopping is stealing.

That's the bitch about being ethical; you can also be a real drag.

But I can tell you, Vicky and I won't be doing it. It's nice to be with someone who makes me want to be a better person. Underneath that libertarian veneer, beats the heart of a Buddhist - she just doesn't know it, yet.

So, a month ago, I joined Audible.com. I picked up The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell and Monster in a Box by Spalding Gray. And, oh man, I loved them! I was hooked! Audible was the thing for me! But, see, I'd joined through a discount my work offers - one month's free membership.

Now, after using my month, I could join again, using a different email address. I could generate new email addresses every month and get a month free (which is two books free, by the way). I could do this for years, getting book after book, for free!!

But I won't. I won't because Vicky is right. Just because you find a loophole around paying, doesn't mean you shouldn't pay, doesn't mean it's okay to steal. I am so split because part of me thinks my company still pays for the free month but another part of me is trying to face this temptation in the face and not let my ethics wither.

But I'm going to pay for my next month. I'll pay the $20, so I can get this and this, saving $60. Okay, so I don't get it all for free, but I do get a clear conscience.

Ethics are a real pain in the ass. I'm glad I have Vicky to help me along.

No comments: