Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Another one bites the dust...

This comes as a complete shock. I lost another friend today.

I've lost quite a few in the past few years. I think I'm getting good at it.

Last year, when Sherryl decided she didn't want to be my friend any more, she said it was because I couldn't move on. She was referring to the loss of my wife, the loss of Rosa, back in 2000 when she told me to find someone else. Because I couldn't ignore the pain and how my life had been shattered by this, Sherryl decided she'd rather not be my friend. And because she'd been able to after her husband left her, she felt she'd outgrown me.

Which brings us to now. Now, another friend has decided she wants nothing to do with me as long as I can't pretend to be happy, as long as I can't shut up, put on a plastic smile, and pretend to be someone else when she's around. She also upset because I haven't been picking up women at bars - you want to talk about strange?!

I always believed that friends accept you as you are and help you when they can so they can enjoy the good times with you, too. That is not what others believe.

So, oh boy - this helps! Maybe she'll be friends with me again one day. Lord knows this isn't the first time she's walked away because she couldn't tolerate me any longer. Maybe next time, she'll try to remember, the appropriate response to "I need help. I'm on my last leg." shouldn't be "Eat shit and die!"

No comments: