Thursday, August 07, 2003

Taking this lightly...

Okay, I'm going to go off the regular topic for once and bring up something near and dear to my retinas: light.

I've been reading more and more about "light pollution" lately. Interesting. After learning about litter, smog, industrial waste, nuclear waste, plain old cat litter, and noise pollution, now we have "light pollution".

So, what's the big deal? What is light pollution?

You know I wouldn't bring it up if it wasn't important. Here's a pretty-well written article on the subject. Looks like our addiction to light has caused doom to silk moths and brought baby booms to algea. Light is a type of habitat encroachment as it disturbs natures most basic cycles.

Interesting reading and something you should keep in mind.

So, what's this make me think of? I often walk late at night. I never miss my footing because the streets are incredibly well lit. A few months ago, when the Santa Ana Winds were going nuts (as they always do these days), a few blocks in my neighborhood had their power cut off. Even the streetlights were out. And the streets were actually dark for a change. It was great! It made me think of the times when I've been in Oregon or long ago when I'd visit Washington - and there wasn't a streetlight every ten feet casting four gazillion watts of flourescent glow onto your puss. You could see the stars. You were more aware of your surroundings. Yes, there was even that moment when you were a little scared.

... I miss that.

No comments: