Monday, June 21, 2004

Lead Balloon...

At this week's OCPA meeting, we had a reading of my new play, "The Myth of the Cubicle".

As I might have mentioned, this is a play about which I'm not sure how I feel. Funny? Yes. Cynical? Well, yes to that as well. In fact, it's actually hard for me to read. It's like my id - my id on a bad day - went wild on the keyboard. They play is about people who work in an office - slave, actually - until one of them finds out there is a whole world out there with other opportunities. When he comes back to tell his coworkers this, they turn on him. People don't like having their illusions (or their complacency) shattered. But it's more than a play about people; it's about society. It's an allegorical about our world and where it's going.

And, so, we read it. The room was full of laughter. At times, it was the best kind, that laugh that is bit off with the "should I be laughing at this" thought.

When we finished, the other members commented on what they thought of it. "Did you have to make the boss the bad guy?" I didn't. He was A bad guy not THE bad guy. "Couldn't you have focused more on their personal lives?" No! And then, several people suggested ways to make the ending more happy.

Basically, they missed the point.

Then, Eric made a suggestion that blew me away. He suggested I turn it into a full-length. (Presently, it's 12 pages.) Huh? Wha??? Now wait just a dol-garned minute! I've got other things to do with my time!!! Anyway, at 12 pages, this play's been met with enough misunderstanding. As a full-length, who knows how it could be misconstrued!?

I'll keep this one around and maybe work on it some more but, for now, I think it's time to press onward.

No comments: