Thursday, December 16, 2004

Sowing the seeds of love…

I was going to be really smart today. I was going to write a really smart and provocative My Side.

Then, I realized I couldn't.

You see, I was going to take the lyrics to Phil Ochs' "Here's to the state of Mississippi" and turn them into "Here's to the state of George Bush Jr.". The song basically tore Mississippi a new one back in the 60's and, I thought, could again for (burning) Bush.

Then, I saw the lyrics.


Here's to the state of Mississippi,
For Underneath her borders, the devil draws no lines,
If you drag her muddy river, nameless bodies you will find.
whoa the fat trees of the forest have hid a thousand crimes,
the calendar is lyin' when it reads the present time.
Whoa here's to the land you've torn out the heart of,
Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of!

Not bad, huh? After all, (burning) Bush certain doesn't stop at our borders and god knows where the bodies are hid. As for the calendar, I just heard "Rock Around the Clock" on the radio the other day, so…

But then...

And here's to the people of Mississippi
Who say the folks up north, they just don't understand
And they tremble in their shadows at the thunder of the Klan


Klan? The Klan?

Surely, you remember the Klan. It was/is a group of guys who got together for BBQs, cook-offs, and nigger lynchings. Now, before you recoil at the so-called "N" word, consider for a moment that our modern society does not only condone the prosecution of a racial class it institutionalizes it! Who do you think we're at war with??? Think it only applies to blacks? More blacks men are in prison then ever and fewer black men are in college then ever. (And don't bother saying they're shifty and dumb unless you want a list of accomplished black americans a month and a half before Black History Month!) Or maybe you just think people back then were more repressive over all. Well, in that case, look at the prosecution of homosexuals. Look at the gutting of hate-crime legislation.

Face it. American society in the early 21st century makes the Klan of the 60's look like pussies.

So, I dumped that idea. No more pithy wisdom from Ken… back to his old shtick…

For the past few days, I've had the Tears for Fears song, Sowing the Seeds of Love, going through my head. Now, seriously, this is not just nostalgia for the 80's going on here. It was, actually, a very well constructed song, harkening back on the Beatles as only they could. It's a song I wish I'd put on this year's CDs… but… no. Maybe next year. (I'm thinking about making one CD next year called "love", with every song having the word "love" in the title.)

It's also a good song for de-stressing.

This home purchase has really been a tempest. Everything would be cool and then HELL! The deal would be in place and then CATACLYSM! I'd have the house and then I'd be DESTITUTE!

Finally, everything came together last night. But do you want to know how close we came?We're losing our apartment on Monday - the same day the house is legally mine. Fortunately, we finagled a deal wherein Vicky and I get to take possession early (which is actually three weeks late, but whatever) so we can move our stuff this Saturday. This involves packing. Hordes of packing!

So, no great political statement this time, just moving news...

...

I spy tears in their eyes
They look to the skies for some kind of divine intervention
Food goes to waste!
So nice to eat, so nice to taste
Politician Grannie with your high ideals
Have you no idea how the Majority feels?
So without love and a promise land
We're fools to the rules of a Government plan
Kick out the style ! Bring back the jam!

Anything...
Sowing the Seeds
The birds and the bees
My girlfriend and me in love

Feel the pain
Talk about it
If you're a worried man - then shout about it
Open hearts - feel about it
Open minds - think about it
Everyone - read about it
Everyone - scream about it!
Everyone
Everyone - read about it, read about it
Read in the books in the crannies and the nooks there are books to read

And anything is possible when you're Sowing the Seeds of Love
Anything is possible - Sowing the Seeds of Love

Time to eat all your words
Swallow your pride
Open your eyes
High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man
And the lovetrain rides from coast to coast
Every minute of every hour - " I Love a Sunflower "
And I believe in lovepower, LovePower, LOVEPOWER !!!
Sowing the Seeds
An end to need
And the Politics of Greed
With love

No comments: