Thursday, October 30, 2003

Yes... I'm a geek... so?...

Though I'm a writer and an actor, I've always had an interest in numbers. Math, I suck at - but I've always loved numbers.

Here's an example: When I go to the gym, my workout is devised around the number 3. I do the stairmaster on level 3 at three miles per hour. On the treadmill, my speed and inclination must total 6 (as there are two settings). I do 90 situps. I work on three weight machines, at 60 pounds, three sets each. And I finish on the bike, doing 6 miles on level 6.

Yep. I'm a geek.

But, if you think that's bad... try this. It shows the uniqueness of all numbers. For instance:

0 is the additive identity.
1 is the multiplicative identity.
2 is the only even prime.
3 is the number of spatial dimensions we live in.
4 is the smallest number of colors sufficient to color all planar maps.
5 is the number of Platonic solids.
6 is the smallest perfect number.
7 is the smallest number of integer-sided rectangles that tile a rectangle so that no 2 rectangles share a common length.
8 is the largest cube in the Fibonacci sequence.
9 is the maximum number of cubes that are needed to sum to any positive integer.
10 is the base of our number system.

No comments: