Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I'm a nice guy... really...

After a couple weeks of rehearsal, something has occurred to me.

After rehearsing being a bad guy, something has come to mind.

After weeks of disparaging remarks, there's this thing I've realized...

Ken and people, well, they don't mix, do they? I mean, people think I'm pretty rotten. It sucks! I mean, okay, sure, I kissed another woman and left my wife because I felt I wasn't worthy which may have driven her to having a child with a man who doesn't love her, consequently leaving me out in the cold, but... shit...

So, where did this come from? From whence did this thundercloud of blame blow in?

Because I suddenly realized that people like casting me in the role of a bad person - a louse - a rat - a fink... and I'm pretty good at it...

Don't believe me? Check this out:

In January of 2001, I played Tony Wendice in "Dial M for Murder". Tony was a blackmailer and a would-be killer.

In May of 2001, I played Billy Boylan in "40 Carats". Billy was a flake and a womanizer.

In April of 2002, I played Theodore Wexler in "3 Days of Rain". Theo was a psychologically disturbed alcoholic in a possibly abusive bisexual relationship... and, yes, he was the abuser... to both sexes.

In May of 2002, I played Benjamin Jorge in "Everything Changes". Ben was such a self-important prick that everyone who knew him walked out on him.

In July of 2002, I played Greg in the film "The Salesman". Greg tried to sabotage another person's hard work.

In February of 2003, I played Tom in "Atheists". Tom was rude and insulting and belittled everyone.

In June of 2003, I played James Newman in "Whatever Happened to Me". James cheated on his wife and disrespected his father.

And I wrote the last three, folks! Even I cast myself as a bad guy!!!

In May of 2003, I played Sam Houston in "Love and Politics". Sam was a pedophile.

In September of 2003, I played Dick Christie in "Play it Again, Sam". Dick was... well, he lived up to his name so well that he drove his wife into another man's arms.

In December of 2003, I played Bob in "The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever". Bob was lazy and a bad father.

In February of 2004, I played Chris in "Do Hoosiers Go To Heaven". Chris was an alcohol and drug-addict.

Now, I'm Howard Holt in "Something to Hide"...

Everybody casts me in these horrible roles of these awful men.... people you would spend five minutes with if you were stuck in a theater with them... but I'm really nice guy... honestly...

So why does everyone think I'm a dick?

No comments: