Thursday, November 18, 2004

Questions…. Answers… and Stupid Purchases…

Here's a question for you:

How do you teach your children about the power of words?

I've known people who won't allow their children to say the words "hate" or "stupid". They treat them like swear words, which they also won't allow their children to say. Now, I can see the reason behind this. They are both very powerful and often poorly used words - and I'm sure there are more. But I'm not quite comfortable with the idea of restricting my kid's speech. I mean, after all, they are going to use any words you tell them not to use. In fact, they're probably more fucking likely to use them, dammit. That said, though, they still need to be taught what is appropriate and what using those words - any words - means.

So, what do you do? How do you teach your children about the power of words?

(I'm looking forward to hearing Vicky's take on this one…)



Just so you know:

If you decide one day that the cause of all the problems on the earth is humanity (and, if you've blamed another species, I'd really like to know which one… and why!), and decide, therefore, that the only solution is to kill all humans… it's probably best not to start with yourself… you know, from a purely practical standpoint.



Gather round friends! Gather round! I'm here to talk to you, my dear friends - and that person I don't know out there - about Stupid Purchases!

Okay, now, you've all been giving Vicky and I a pretty hard time about our cookware and cutlery purchase.

… wait a minute. Actually, it's only been the Tims. You guys cut that out! I'll smack you!

Where was I?

Oh, right. Cookware and Cutlery. Well, in hindsight, it was probably an extravagance but, give me a break, who among us hasn't spent a little extra money on ourselves and our significant snug-bunny on occasion. (As a matter of fact, yes, I did use "snugg-bunny" just to make you sick.) We got so many extras with it, I'm not worried about having been ripped off. Did we need it? Could we have lived without it? No and Yes - but so the fuck what, right? You'll thank me when I make you dinner.

(Mind you, Tim Murphy's up in Oregon thinking, "He can't cook for me at this distance!"… and he's probably right.)

Now, you want to hear about a really stupid purchase?

As some of you may know, I've gone Ebay crazy lately, and I've been buying games for my X-Box on the CHEAP.

Well, about five minutes ago (from the time I'm writing this) (smartass), I won an auction for the dumbest thing I've probably ever bought. Yep, it's "Intellivision Lives" for the X-Box! I'm going to play Intellivision games on my X-Box - talk about cognitive dissonance!

Well, what can I tell you? I was feeling nostalgic and I got is for $8 (plus $4 for shipping and handling) (though I wish they'd stop handling my goods…). Back in high school, my friends and I would get together and play Intellivision… when we were supposed to be in school. (And YES, that is a damned long time ago!) What can I tell you - I couldn't help myself…

Now, it's YOUR turn! Share your STUPIDEST PURCHASE! Enter a comment. Send an email. We're all friends here… and we want to laugh at you!

No comments: