Tuesday, March 09, 2004

It's too late to change anything and there's no going back...

God, I'm tired this morning. Went to sleep after 1am... woke up at 7am... okay, I know that's, technically, about six hours of sleep but let's not forget it was after a very full day. Rehearsals are getting more intense as we get closer to opening - only about two weeks to go.

I worry about Teri (the director's) scheduling. She wants us off book (lines memorized) for the whole play by next week. With only one week off book before we open, well, I worry that the lines won't be solid in people's minds. That often results in mishaps of the most embarrassing kind.

I say she wants us off book for the whole play by next week because the schedule is staggered. We need to be off book for Act Two next week. Last night, we needed to be off book for Act One. (I don't get the logic. It would seem to me that Act One would be better memorized as a result.)

So, we were running Act One quite a bit last night.

In the midst of it, I have one line that goes, "I want you to forget tonight. Forget it now, while you can. It's too late to change anything and there's no going back."

First time we ran it, I said, "I want you to forget tonight. Forget it now, while you can. There's... It's... something about... LINE!"

Second run: "I want you to forget tonight now. Forget it... while you can?"

Third run: "I want you to forget tonight..." My leading lady, Christie, smiled and said in that desperate, British voice of hers, "But darling!" "Forget it now... while you still can!" I was getting pretty damned frustrated by this time and she looked like she was about to break into tears of laughter. I locked eyes with her. "There's nothing... it's too late... There's no - FUCK! LINE!" And that was it. We both collapsed into each other's arms, laughing our heads off.

Only about two weeks to go... hopefully I'll remember that line by then.

No comments: